Rose’s Baking Pearls
• Use your favorite chocolate. My favorites are: Valrhona dark chocolate chips 52% and 60%, Ghirardelli bittersweet chips 60%, and Scharffen Berger bittersweet chunks 61%.
• Use grade AA butter, as lower quality (containing more water) will result in a lesser amount of browned butter. You will need a total of 84 to 94 grams/103 ml browned butter.
Make This Recipe Your Own
• It’s also fine to use the softened butter without browning it, but it will result in a less flavorful, puffier cookie.
• For a cookie that is crisp all the way through, bake at 325°F/160°C for 12 to 14 minutes, until set but still soft. The cookie will become firm and crisp when cool.
• Many variations work for this cookie base. You can use a mix of chocolate such as white, milk, and dark, or you can use butterscotch chips instead. You can use pecans or your favorite nuts instead of walnuts, or no nuts at all. Also, you can add ½ to ¾ cup dried fruit such as cranberries or raisins.