Author Brooke Parkhurst says her husband Jamie hasn’t met a street food he doesn’t like. His all-time favorite is a sausage and pepper sandwich. Brooke lightens it up in a Mediterranean way with mint, feta and watercress, stuffed into Pita-style pockets along with the grilled sausage.
- 1/2 red onion very thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 6 pieces Italian sausage hot or sweet
- 1 bunch watercress tough stems removed
- 5 ounces feta cheese crumbled
- 2 tablespoons mint leaves torn
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 pitas with pocket
- Combine the sliced onions and red wine vinegar in a large bowl. Set aside to marinate for 15 minutes while you prepare the remaining ingredients.
- Pierce sausages all over with the tip of a knife and place on a grill or in a preheated oven (350˚) to cook through. While sausages are cooking, add the watercress, feta, mint and olive oil to the marinated onions. Mix well and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Warm pitas on the grill or in the oven; then cut away the top ¼ of the pita, leaving a large pocket to be stuffed.
- When the sausages are cooked and cool enough to handle, slice into ½-1 inch thick pieces and toss in the bowl with other ingredients. Divide the mixture into quarters and stuff in pitas.
Leave a Reply