Here’s a nightmare: It’s Thanksgiving morning and you forgot to thaw the turkey. Don’t worry. A turkey roasts beautifully even in its frozen state. Yes, it takes longer. But the skin will get browner and even crunchier, a definite plus. Or if it’s a long way from the holiday but you’ve got unexpected houseguests coming this weekend, pick up that frozen turkey at the market and roast it tonight. You’ll have sandwiches for days!
Use the following chart as a rough guide to timing:
• 8-to 12-pound turkey: 1-1/2 to 2 hours longer
• 12- to 14-pound turkey: 2 to 3-1/4 hours longer
• 14- to 18-pound turkey: 3-1/4 to 3-3/4 hours longer
• 18- to 20-pound turkey: 3-3/4 to 4-1/4 hours longer
• 20- to 24-pound turkey: 4-1/4 to 5 hours longer
— Bruce Weinstein and Mark Scarbrough
Excerpted from THE KITCHEN SHORTCUT BIBLE Copyright © 2018 by Bruce Weinstein and Mark Scarbrough. Used with permission of Little, Brown and Company, New York. All rights reserved.