When freelance recipe developer and food stylist Allison Kreitler visited the studio recently, she brought along the ingredients for her signature Rhubarb Spritz, along with plenty of delicious alternative uses for the rhubarb simple syrup that makes the mocktail or cocktail really something special.
Use the rhubarb syrup to sweeten lemonade, brush it between layers of a while cake with lemon curd, glaze a pound cake with it, mix it into a fruit salad or brush it on pineapple rings before grilling.
Keep the ideas coming . . .
Listen to Allison describe this drink on a recent Faith Middleton Food Schmooze®.
Recipe and photo: Allison Kreitler
- Rhubarb simple syrup (makes about 2 cups)
- 2 cups sliced rhubarb (about 1/4-inch thick)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 3 Tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon vanila extract
- Put rhubarb, sugar, and water in a 2 quart pot and bring to a boil. Simmer rhubarb for 5 minutes until completely soft. Strain syrup through a fine mesh strainer pressing on rhubarb to get out all the liquid. Stir in lemon juice and vanilla. Refrigerate, covered, until cold.
Leave a Reply