If you scream for ice cream, come and belt it out with us on The Faith Middleton Food Schmooze®. It’s a triple scoop of fun: The gang talks to Tony Yurgaitis, co-founder of Arethusa Farm & Dairy (now in New Haven!); Faith makes a boozy chocolate milkshake; and Mark Scarbrough, co-author of the new cookbook, A la Mode, joins the party with ice cream/dessert pairing ideas (and recipes!). We talk favorite ice cream shops and hipster ice cream flavors (who wouldn’t want a lick of Green Tea-Black Sesame, Elvis’s Fat Years, and Brown Butter ice cream?). Cue that screaming—that shop is in San Fran—and we’re here. Finally, we all love that classic Good Humor ice cream sandwich, but that doesn’t stop us from dreaming up other ways to hold slabs of ice cream. Faith uses grilled corn bread, Robyn Doyon-Aitken, chocolate chip cookies, and the “sandwich” in our new favorite ice cream treat—doughnuts. This is NOT a Food Schmooze® for the lactose-intolerant. But, there will be bourbon! Faith and Chris Prosperi also cook up a shrimp salad roll that rivals the best lobster rolls in CT (and beyond).
Aired: August 24, 2017 and August 11, 2016
CONTRIBUTORS AND GUESTS:
• Chris Prosperi — chef/owner, Métro Bis in Simsbury, Conn.
• Alex Province — wine expert
• Robyn Doyon-Aitken — senior producer
• Tony Yurgaitis — Arethusa Dairy Bar in New Haven and Arethusa al tavolo in Bantam
• Mark Scarbrough — author of À La Mode
• “Can’t Stop the Feeling,” Justin Timberlake
• “All About That Bass,” Meghan Trainor
• “Beans and Cornbread,” Louis Jordan and The Tympany Five
• “Banana Split for My Baby,” Louis Prima
• “Ice Cream,” Michael Hearst
• “Everybody Eats When They Come to My House,” Cab Calloway