All aboard! Colin Caplan takes Faith and The Food Schmooze® gang on a cocktail crawl through the streets of New Haven on The Elm City Party Bike. Revelers (and peddlers) stop at Olea and BAR for appetizers, cocktails, pizza, and mico-brewed beer. It was the MOST fun! We toast our ride with Domaine J. Laurens, an under-$20 sparkler that’s as delicious as Prosecco, and recommend a bottle (or two) for your holiday gatherings. After the ride, we head back in the studio to talk root vegetables and fall roasts. THIS is how you kickoff autumn, people!
Aired: October 31, 2019 (originally aired October 19, 2017)
Photos: (cocktail and pizza) Robyn Doyon-Aitken, (Elm City Party Bike) Aken “Moose” Musa
• Chris Prosperi — chef/owner, Métro Bis in Simsbury, Conn.
• Alex Province — wine expert
• Robyn Doyon-Aitken — senior producer
• Colin Caplan — owner and captain of Elm City Party Bike and Taste of New Haven
• Juan Carlos Gonzales — manager, Olea
• Michelle Draper — bartender, Olea and Kala Bistro
• Chef Manuel Romero — chef and co-owner, Olea and Kala Bistro
• Stephen Fries — hospitality management/culinary, Gateway Community College
• Dr. Paul Broadie — president, Gateway Community College
• Frank Patrick — general manager/managing partner BAR
Special thanks to everyone who peddled along with us and helped make this a memorable party: Aken “Moose” Musa; Mary Ellen Cody (Gateway Community College); Evie Gard (Gateway Community College); Amy Caplan, The Foote School (AND Colin’s sister); Alison De Renzi, owner of L’Orcio Restaurant; Danielle Ginnetti, owner of 116 Crown and Meat & Co; Amy Lee; Kiran Zaman Sabooh; Massimo Verardo; Francine Freeman; Tom Griggs, of the International Festival of Atrs & Ideas and The Gateway Community College Foundation; and Tom Beirne, Halsey Associates and The Gateway Community College Foundation.
• “Party Train,” Redfoo
• “Beans and Cornbread,” Louis Jordan and The Tympany Five
• “Fire,” The Pointer Sisters
• “Give Love,” Andy Grammer
• “Everybody Eats When They Come to My House,” Cab Calloway