To celebrate National Rum Day and honor Faith (famous for her love of all things tiki), the founder and CEO of The Real McCoy spirits company, Bailey Pryor, invented a cocktail that Faith declared one of the best she’s ever had. ALL of us on the show declared it the best cocktail we’ve ever had, in fact!
• ON-DEMAND: Listen to Faith and the gang rave about this cocktail and learn everything you’ve ever wanted to know about rum from special guest, Bailey Pryor. •
Fun name aside, the cocktail was nuanced, with warm spice notes from The Real McCoy’s authentic artisan rum, a liqueur called Velvet Falernum, and “Bajan Punch,” from RIPE, the makers of cold-pressed juices and mixers. Like us, Bailey values local companies making good stuff to eat and drink without added “junk” masking natural flavors.
If you can’t find RIPE’s “Bajan Punch” in your neighborhood market, try the following substitute:
1 ounce fresh limeade
1 ounce fresh pineapple juice
1/2 ounce fresh orange Juice
Dash of fresh nutmeg
The Luxardo cherry garnish is luxe, indeed. They’re pricy, but exquisite. If you’re passionate about cocktails, go ahead and splurge on a jar of the real thing, but if you can’t justify the cost, don’t substitute those neon-pink ice cream sundae maraschino cherries. They’re antithetical to a drink with ingredients like this.
Photo: Courtesy of The Real McCoy Rum
- 1-1/2 ounces The Real McCoy 3-Year-Aged Rum
- 1/4 ounce Velvet Falernum Liqueur
- 2-1/2 ounces “Bajan Punch” by Ripe Juice Co. (Or see above for a homemade substitute)
- Dash Tiki Bitters (Bailey likes Fee Brothers or Fentimans, but use what you can find)
- 2 Luxardo cherries
- Shake with ice, pour into a fun tiki glass, and garnish with the Luxardo cherries.
Faith may find Luxardo cherries less dear shopping online. I saw them at about $14.50 for 14.1oz. This was by getting a 6 pack and opting for slower free shipping. Another option is to get a group of friends to split a 6.6lb can ($69.99) which is comparable to the cost of those awful bright red ones.
Good afternoon. I am wondering if your current Bailey Pryor might be from Mystic, Ct, and if so, congrats brother…👍👍👍👌😁
Robyn Doyon-Aitken says