Everybody knows Thanksgiving is all about that gorgeous gravy. Get the gravy right, and you’ve not only won Thanksgiving dinner, you’ve also won the leftover game for days to come (gravy is what makes those leftovers possible, after all). For the feast, it warms and flavors the made-ahead turkey and feels glorious in your mouth. Later that night, sandwiches. The day after that, any gravy left makes for a silky turkey soup. (You can thank Chris Prosperi for that tip). Also this week: Kate McDermott, a phenomenal pie baker and pie teacher (she runs a Pie Camp!) takes all the anxiety out of making pie from scratch. She shares recipes from her new book, Art of the Pie, for Cranberry Pie—stunning!—and a nuanced Pumpkin Pie. Kate also shares her savory Sausage and Apple Pie recipe (Sunday dinner inspiration!). Alex Province offers up two beautiful wines at two price points, so you’ve got options for a host gift and the feast. Finally, Faith was inspired to create a side dish worthy of the holiday. Her Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad with Prosciutto goes with everything on your holiday table. That’s a promise.
Aired: November 17, 2016 and November 16, 2017
Photo: Copyright © 2015 by Andrew Scrivani
CONTRIBUTORS AND GUESTS:
• Chris Prosperi — chef/owner, Métro Bis in Simsbury, Conn.
• Alex Province — wine expert
• Robyn Doyon-Aitken — senior producer
• Kate McDermott — author of Art of the Pie
• “Can’t Stop the Feeling,” Justin Timberlake
• “Gravy,” Dee Dee Sharp
• “Beans and Cornbread,” Louis Jordan and The Tympany Five
• “Cutie Pie,” Boyz II Men
• “Sweet Potato Pie,” Ray Charles and James Taylor
• “Everybody Eats When They Come to My House,” Cab Calloway