You don’t need cup after cup of granulated sugar to make your desserts shine. Former White House pastry chef Bill Yosses shares recipes from his new baking cookbook, The Sweet Spot: Dialing Back Sugar and Amping Up Flavor. We’ve got Bill’s Maple Apple Tarte Tatin, Almond Cake with Elderflower Cream, and a Poached Whole Pineapple (yes, it’s a centerpiece dessert!) Plus, Faith and the gang share ideas for light appetizers and a big, bold, beautiful red wine from France—Gigondas—for the holidays. If you’ve ever wondered how to walk in the door with a gift wine, we’ve got ideas, and our wine experts tell you how to store wine for up to two years (give or take) if you don’t have a dedicated wine fridge. You might be surprised by their suggestions.
Aired: November 30, 2017
Photo: Copyright © Evan Sung
CONTRIBUTORS AND GUESTS:
• Chris Prosperi — chef/owner, Métro Bis in Simsbury, Conn.
• Alex Province — wine expert
• Mark Raymond — wine expert
• Robyn Doyon-Aitken — senior producer
• Bill Yosses — author of The Sweet Spot: Dialing Back Sugar and Amping Up Flavor
• “Can’t Stop the Feeling,” Justin Timberlake
• “Come on Over,” Christina Aguilera
• “Beans and Cornbread,” Louis Jordan and The Tympany Five
• “Crush,” Campsite Dream
• “Sugar,” Robin Schultz
• “Everybody Eats When They Come to My House,” Cab Calloway