The key to great barbecue is layering flavors. Steven Raichlen tells you how to do it with recipes for sauces, rubs, and marinades. Get ready for burgers, ribs, and more. Plus, a CT restaurant serves a soft-shell crab BLT that gets raves, and Amy Dickinson of Wait. . .Wait Don’t Tell Me!® and the “Ask Amy” column describes her early life on a dairy farm and her mother’s cooking. Finally, we’re happily surprised by Pasqua Romeo & Juliet Bianco, a white wine that actually pairs with the spice and heat of our new favorite barbecue burger.
Aired: May 18, 2017
Photo: Copyright © 2017 by Matthew Benson
CONTRIBUTORS AND GUESTS:
• Chris Prosperi — chef/owner, Métro Bis in Simsbury, Conn.
• Mark Raymond — wine expert
• Robyn Doyon-Aitken — senior producer
• Steven Raichlen — author of Barbecue Sauces, Rubs, and Marinades
• Amy Dickinson — author of Strangers Tend to Tell Me Things
• “Can’t Stop the Feeling,” Justin Timberlake
• “Too Much Barbeque,” Big Twist & The Mellow Fellows
• “Beans and Cornbread,” Louis Jordan and The Tympany Five
• “Kansas City,” Fats Domino
• “Hang Out with You,” Mary Lambert
• “Everybody Eats When They Come to My House,” Cab Calloway