It’s a touch of almond butter in this warmly-spiced vegetarian soup from Saveur Soups and Stews that makes your taste buds do a double take.
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large red onion thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red chile flakes
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 3 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- 1 1" piece ginger peeled and finely chopped
- 2 lb. sweet potatoes peeled and cut into 1" pieces
- 5 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups coarsely chopped kale
- 1/2 cup quinoa rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Heat oil in an 8-qt. saucepan over medium. Cook onion until slightly caramelized, 8 minutes. Stir in cumin, chile flakes, cinnamon, coriander, garlic, and ginger and cook until fragrant, 1–2 minutes. Add sweet potatoes and stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook until potatoes are tender, 10 minutes. Add kale and quinoa and cook until quinoa is tender, about 20 minutes. Using a ladle, transfer about 1 cup stock from pan into a bowl, whisk in almond butter, and return to pan. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
Why do the recipes read in standard measurement but print metric or incomplete ?
This was delicious! I followed the recipe. My husband even liked it and he thinks a meal has to have meat.
Amazing flavors!!! Thank you so much.
My go-to winter soup this year. I make it at least every other week.