This week’s show is all about making summer last. More ways with sweet corn, tomatoes, and zucchini, a shout-out to our friends on Facebook who recommended the region’s best ice cream (we tried more than a few of your top shops!) and the unlikely place having an ice cream surge right now. Plus, what to do with the mysterious root vegetable kohlrabi, from slaws to soups. Cooking teacher and cookbook author Domenica Marchetti joins the fun with recipes from her new book, Preserving Italy. Recipes for silky half-moons of butternut squash preserved in oil, sweet onion jam to top burgers, and peaches in Grappa—perhaps the most delicious way to savor stone fruit.
Photo: © 2016 Lauren Volo
Aired: September 1, 2016
CONTRIBUTORS AND GUESTS:
• Chris Prosperi — chef/owner, Métro Bis in Simsbury, Conn.
• Alex Province — wine expert
• Domenica Marchetti —author of Preserving Italy: Canning, Curing, Infusing, and Bottling Italian Flavors and Traditions
• “Can’t Stop the Feeling,” Justin Timberlake
• “Good Feeling,” Flo Rida
• “Beans and Cornbread,” Louis Jordan and The Tympany Five
• “Cold Water,” Major Lazer, feat. Justin Bieber
• “Endless Summer,” Oceana
• “Everybody Eats When They Come to My House,” Cab Calloway